The credit union was established on November 30, 1937 as the Hoover Employees Federal Credit Union. Thanks to progressive thinking by the Board of Directors, a community charter was obtained in 1980. This new charter opened the field of membership essentially to everyone living or employed in North Canton, Ohio. At that time, the name was changed to Hoover-Community Federal Credit Union.
After an extensive study, the Board of Directors, with guidance from the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), made a decision to change the credit union’s name again in 1996. The new name became First Ohio Community Federal Credit Union. The intention was to clarify who was eligible to become a credit union member. In 2001, the charter was changed again to include anyone worshiping or attending school in North Canton.
Early in 2003, First Ohio Community Federal Credit Union applied to NCUA for an expanded field of membership. In July 2003, our credit union was awarded the approval to provide financial services to anyone who lives, works, worships, or attends school anywhere throughout StarkCounty.
Our rules, regulations, policies, and procedures are intended to benefit and protect both the Credit Union and its members. Being a Federally Chartered Credit Union, NCUA is the responsible regulator. A benefit of the federal charter is funds are insured to at least $250,000 per member through the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF) and backed by the full faith and credit of the United States Government.
The Board of Directors, Staff, and Management of First Ohio CFCU would like to welcome you as a credit union member.